|"I encourage businesses to get involved in the Schools to Career program and begin reaping the benefits of working with our local youth.” - Gail Nelson, Pendleton Chamber of Commerce|
School to Careers Program
Share your knowledge and provide a student with real-world career training. Make a positive impact on students’ lives today and help to build Pendleton’s future workforce. Gain exposure and recognition in the community.
- Mentorships - Offer your expertise, support, and advice to a student who is interested in your field in a series of scheduled face-to-face meetings.
- Job Shadow - Provide students with a look at a “day in the life” of professionals employed by your company or organization.
- Work Experience - Host a students for a short term experience (approximately 3-5 hours) that gives a taste of the profession and involves some hands-on assignments.
- Internship - Engage a student in a longer term, in-depth placement that involves a more formal job description.
- Service Learning Project - Involve students in a project that builds transferable skills while also filling a needs in our community.
- Work Site Tours - Offer a group of students a close-up look at the inner workings of your business or organization.
- Classroom Speaker/Guest Instructor - Bring a lesson, demonstration, or activity to school and share your expertise with students in a classroom setting.
How to get involved:
- Step 1: Send us your information on the online Interest Form. There is no commitment to provide any opportunities by submitting this information.
- Step 2: The School to Careers Coordinator will contact you to discuss opportunities that you may be able to provide for students.
- Step 3: Complete the Partner Overview (offered one-on-one or in a social setting with colleagues) which will highlight best practices and help you prepare to engage students in a career related learning experience that is meaningful for everyone involved. Sign a Memorandum of Understanding outlining expectations for participating in the program.
- Step 4: Host a student, give a tour, and/or be a guest instructor.
- Step 5: Complete a short evaluation and give feedback.
For more information contact:
Christina van der Kamp
School to Careers Coordinator